On the other note, my parents are off to a small trip to India for two weeks. This is not the first time they are going, but the next time they will leave, they will leave for good. I have been fortunate enough to have them with me all these years, giving me some very good support as far as the kids are concerned. For them, it is a well deserved rest from the hectic life over here, and for me, it is going to be a case of getting adjusted to not having them physically with me, soon. Life is not what we want all the time, right… I only have prayers for their wellness to Allah, just like all of us who value our parents. Whatever little misunderstandings you may have, at the end of it all, they are who made you and their value is non-match able, irreplaceable…
Urulakizhangu Upperi ~ Potato Stir Fry
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 strands curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- A pinch asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Cook the potatoes in a pressure cooker in lots of water on high flame for three whistles.
- Switch off, allow the pressure to go by itself. Open the cooker, drain the potatoes.
- Peel and slice in to medium sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a kadai, heat the oil. Splutter mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add the urad dal and fry for a minute. Add the curry leaves and fry for another minute.
- Now add the masala powders and stir well. Add the potatoes and give it a good mix.
- Leave it on a low flame for about 5-6 minutes. Add the salt and mix well again.
- Serve warm as side dish with rice and curry!