There is a charm associated with the old… I don’t khow many of you agree with me on this but whenever I go to any historical places or any area which exudes a lot of nostalgia, I automatically get pulled into it. The place where I live in is surrounded by a lot of these Arabic wind houses made of coral stone. The structure of these houses are such that when you stand inside them at any time of the day, you can feel a breeze and a cozy feel inside. The ventilation provided on the top ensures that there is sufficient air circulation inside the property. The climate of this area must have got people to making their homes like this at a time when the modern amenities of life weren’t there. In UAE, Sharjah has taken extra care to ensure that these buildings are maintained in its own charm so that history is not lost. I love the serenity feel that it gives when you stand close to it… and the mild breeze that comes along…
Today, I guess I will share a no-complication snack recipe, that I really love to make whenever I have puff pastry. I would always keep the cheese for the gooeyness but if you don’t like it, you can always avoid it. Couple it up with a cup of hot tea and it is a perfect snack for the cold wave of rain and winds over here…. yummy….
Cheesy Vegetables Puffs
- 6 puff pastry sheets
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 frozen mixed vegetables
- Salt to taste
- 3 slices cheese
- Thaw the puff pastry as per instructions.
- Heat oil in a fry pan. Splutter the cumin seeds. Add the onions and saute till soft.
- Add in the powders and saute for a minutes. Finally add in the mixed vegetables and cook till the vegetables are cooked. Check salt. Allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Keep aside a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Divide the vegetable mix into 6 portions.
- Spoon 1 portion into a puff pastry sheet, top it with half a slice of cheese and fold the pastry. Seal the edges well by pressing. Set on the baking tray. Repeat for all the other 5 sheets.
- Bake for 25 minutes till the puff pastries are browned.
- Serve warm with a cup of chai or coffee!