One best thing about blogging is that I am trying my hands into food that I have never had before! Just like this Thayir Saadam… I am told that it is something so frequently eaten in Tamil Nadu and I am still wondering why we do not have much easy one-pot meals as such, which makes lunch time so relaxing! I was terribly craving for this meal of rice, so referred to several blogs and came up with my medley. And what’s more – I made it in Kerala style, with Palakkadan Matta rice! 😉 We devoured the rice along with potato stir fry and it was delicious!
Thayir Saadam - Yogurt Rice
- 1 cup matta rice
- 2.5 cup of water
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 cucumber finely chopped
- For tempering:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 twigs curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 green chilli chopped
- Cook the rice, with water and salt till well cooked, so cooked that it becomes all mashed up.
- Mix well and mash up with a ladle.
- Add in the warm milk and mix well. Set aside to cool.
- When cool, add in the yogurt, carrot and cucumber, and adjust the salt.
- Heat oil into a saucepan, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, saute for a couple of minutes.
- Put into the rice and mix well.