A simple tea cake made with evaporated milk…
When it comes to baking, my heart is in simple cakes – cakes which shine on its own without any additional layer of sugar on it. A part of that love goes to the fact that I am really lazy to make frosting. 😀 But then, when it comes to your morning coffee in silence or your afternoon tea, cakes without too much frills are always the best. Isn’t it? I already have a few recipes of such fuss-free cakes on the blog. When I have get-togethers with HD’s folks, I usually go for the chocolate buttermilk cake or the condensed milk cake. There are times when I have made the eggless coffee cake or the hot milk cake for smaller gatherings. If I carry a cake on a visit, I vouch for the ghee cake and the Biscoff cake, but if for chocolate lovers, the chocolate butter cake or these brownies are always a winner. My almost 10 years of blogging has already covered so many cakes, so feel free to explore and try some of them too… 🙂
I am just adding one more cake to that list now. I usually don’t buy evaporated milk, because I don’t use it frequently. But then I realized it is a handy ingredient for making puddings like the Creme Caramel and ice creams, like this one. So I keep a tin or so just in case of emergencies. This simple cake can be put together very quickly if you have to carry something for potlucks or you have sudden guests coming in. I had saved this cake from here and have made it a few times before it finally decided to be on the blog. Just like in the original recipe, I have added chopped chocolate, but you can very well skip it and replace it with nuts or dry fruits of choice. The cake is buttery yet moist and very light, that you can’t stop with one bite. Since this recipe doesn’t use a full big can of evaporated milk, use the rest of them to make some chai karak or restaurant style tea for yourself or your guests. 😉 Before moving to the recipe, let me share this chocolate cake, which is also including evaporated milk and is truly amazing…
Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Chunks | Cake using Evaporated Milk
- 120 gm butter softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped chocolate optional, can use nuts or dried fruits
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease an 8 inch or 9 inch pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time and beat till combined. Beat in the vanilla.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Add half the dry ingredients and half the milk and beat till combined.
- Now add the remaining half dry ingredients and the evaporated milk and combined. Fold in the chocolate or nuts if using.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, till skewer comes clean.
- Flip onto rack to cool completely. Slice and enjoy.