I have already, so many time, indicated how non-veg mad our family is. Anytime it is chicken, mutton or beef in the making, you will see some happy faces all around. However, when it is vegetables or lentils, then you can conveniently forget the feeling of seeing blissful expressions! Whenever it is non-veg in the house, I look for options to keep trying different varieties of curries so that our taste buds don’t really get saturated with the same tastes every time. One curry that I really enjoyed making and eating was this really saucy chicken curry with the tanginess of tomatoes in it. Nothing extraordinary, just a variation from our normal chicken curry, with loads and loads of tomatoes in it… Perhaps the best time to try it out is now when the prices of tomatoes are almost rock bottom, hehe… Off to the recipe…
Saucy Tomato Chicken
- FOR MASALA:
- 900 gm chicken thighs
- 1 heaped tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Kashmir chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- FOR CURRY:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 4 large ripe tomatoes chopped
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Combine all ingredients for chicken in a pressure cooker and leave for around 30 minutes. Pressure cook for one whistle and switch off for pressure to go by itself.
- Heat a saucepan with the oil. Add the onions and chillies and saute till soft.
- Add the pastes and saute for 5 minutes or till raw smell goes.
- Now add the tomatoes and cook on low flame till it is mashed and looks like a sauce.
- Now add the cooked chicken along with its stock into the tomato masala.
- Cook till chicken is done and oil floats on top.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve warm with rice or rotis!