There are time when challenges are due and I get excited about it coming up, just like how I felt for the current month for the AtoZ Challenge, hosted by Vidya and Jolly. Even though I haven’t done all alphabets due to many reasons, I love participating in this challenge a lot. You can find all posts related to this challenge in this tag. This month, the alphabet in question is O and the ingredient I have chosen for this challenge is “Orange”. Now, thanks to Covid and all the talks about how good Vit C can be for the virus, oranges and Vit C effervescents have suddenly become in so much demand, and expensive as well. Hehe…
I have always loved oranges, just to eat it like that or in desserts, most of the time. Be it this self-saucing pudding, these yogurt popsicles, these yummy biscottis or these delicious pancakes, I have loved every thing I have made with this versatile fruit. If you need more orange options, all you need to do is type orange in the search box and see the rest of the recipes the blog will throw out. 🙂 I am adding one more to my list of favorite orange sweet treats with these scones.
It had been ages since I had made scones, and I have been dreaming about making some orange scones. There was also this small batch of cranberries, that was begging me to show its end. Aren’t there times when we buy ingredients thinking we will cook something with them and they stay in the pantry, awaiting their fate till they are almost expired or sometimes already expired! So the dream and the cranberries combined together in this delicious scones that got backed one evening over chai.
I have used the whole orange into the scone, to give it maximum orange flavor. The cranberries give it a much needed sweet n sour bite and the sprikling of brown sugar on top gives it a very nice crunch. I love scones, since it comes together very quickly. If you don’t have to wait for butter to melt, then isn’t it easier! 😉 Also, you can eat it warm out of the oven! There is no need to wait for it to cool, like you would do for cakes. It was totally a bake that I really loved. A few of them went to my friend Faiza as well, and she said she enjoyed them, Alhamdulillah. 🙂 Off to the recipe…
Orange Cranberry Scones
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour refer notes
- 85 gm cold butter cubed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Zest and juice of one big orange
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet and keep ready.
- In a food processor, add all the dry ingredients along with the butter, and blitz till the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add in the orange zest, orange juice, egg and milk and blitz till the mixture comes together.
- Gather onto the prepared baking sheet. Add the cranberries and bring the dough together. Pat into a 30 cm diameter round and cut into 8 slices.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top. Bake for 15 minutes. Grill the top for two minutes.
- Serve warm with a cup of coffee!
You can skip the egg to make it eggless. In this case, start with 2 cups of flour and then add more if necessary.
To add some flavor, you can sprinkle some cinnamon along with the brown sugar.