I used to be very scared when it comes to doing anything with yeast. But when it came to being a hard core cook, somebody who really got the confidence in me was Suhaina, who blogs at My Singaporean Kitchen. She was sweet enough to reply back to my email in detail, as to how to handle with yeast. Even though, I am not 100%, but I know I can handle it at least the way it should be. This is a yummy mini-snack, for your kid’s lunch pack or for your afternoon chai time… really soft and yummy…. Recipe: My Singaporean Kitchen
Linking this post to Bon Vivant #13 – Kids Delight hosted by Sumee’s Culinary Bites
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 18 pcs mini sausages
- Sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- 1 egg, for wash
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add the water slowly and knead to make it a pliable dough.
- Give it a final knead by adding the olive oil.
- Set aside for 1 hour, till it rises to double its size.
- Meanwhile, prepare your roasting pan/ pizza pan with parchment paper.
- Punch down the air and knead again. Divide it into 18 small balls.
- Take one boll, roll it to a rod shape and then cover each sausage with the dough till well covered.
- Line it up on the prepared pan, sprinkle sesame seeds on top, and rest it for one more hour.
- During the last 10 minutes, preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Beat the egg slightly with a spoon and brush it over each roll.
- Bake the rolls at 180 degrees for the first 10 minutes and then at 160 degrees for 15 minutes, or till well done.
- Cool on a wire rack and then, enjoy!!!
2. Instead of olive oil, you can use butter as well, as mentioned in Suhaina's recipe. I've used butter before and both seem to give the same effect.
3. If you don't want to brush with egg, you can use milk as well. However, it won't give you a glace.
4. You can bake it at the same temperature for 20 minutes. My oven is quite strange, and that's why I have changed the temperature and baked it for longer!