Another brand new month begins! Isn’t it shocking that 2016 seems to be moving at such a fast pace… we are already entering month 3! Somehow I guess we don’t think about that side much… Sharing with you a slide that I so absolutely loved lately…
As I was digging through my pictures, I noticed I had ignored this post for quite some time. Gosh… During my last vacation, the day I was coming back, as soon as umma was done with the thalacurry, my sister and I got into the kitchen and got to making payasam. We had a small packet of ada, which is dried rice squares which was not enough for making payasam for a huge crowd of 25+. That was when our eyes went on to the small pack of vermicelli that we had got free along with the can of condensed milk. My sister was like, “Why don’t we mix both of them up?” and this payasam was born. That is the best thing about this payasam – in between you pull the vermicelli strings and then you chew on the ada! 🙂 As we triumphantly finished making the payasam, we were searching for some cashews and raisins for garnishing and we could not find anything in the house. When checking with umma, she sarcastically commented, “Payasam undaakunna aalkaaru thanne aadyam nokkande andiyum munthiriyumundonnu…” (Those who are making the payasam should first check whether there is any cashews and raisins available!) Hehe… After that experience, I always make sure I have enough of nuts and dry fruits to hang on to at any given point of time! 😉
2015: Bourdeax Cookies
Semiya Ada Payasam ~ Vermicelli Rice Flakes Kheer
- 100 gm pack ada
- 150 gm vermicelli
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 liter milk
- 1 tin condensed milk
- A fat pinch cardamom
- Cook ada as per instructions on the pack. Drain and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a large saucepan. Add the vermicelli and saute on meduim-low flame for around 5 minutes or till crisp. Ensure not to burn.
- Add in the milk and give a nice stir. Cook, stirring occassionally, till the vermicelli is almost cooked.
- Add the condensed milk and the cooked ada and cook till the mixture is totally thickened and the vermicelli is fully cooked.
- Add in the cardamom and mix well. Serve warm.
As the payasam sits, it gets thicker. Loosen out by adding warm water to required consistency.