While doing a post for the Bake-a-thon 2017, I shouldn’t be leaving a banana bake! Bananas are my favorite fruit to bake with. There are so many different types of banana breads and cakes already on the blog and I feel it is never enough. I just want to keep exploring more and more. 😀 Nowadays, I tend to buy just enough bananas to eat so that I am not tempted to bake! Hehe…
Once I happened to chance upon this recipe and since it had coconut in it, I had to try it. This is not the first time I have baked with the banana coconut combination – this crumb cake with the same combination was a killer that I am considering baking this one really soon, hopefully with wholemeal! So I was sure this one would be an amazing back too… I guess you can see it from the pictures…
All you need is one bowl, a jug and a whisk or spatula. The loaf comes together pretty soon. I have used fresh grated coconut, so that definitely ups the oomph factor, but you could always use dessicated coconut. The buttermilk keeps the bake really moist. I have used a mix of wholewheat flour and all purpose flour for this bake, and due my experience of baking mixed breads, I upped the liquids to keep the loaf moist. I must admit I was a little nervous while doing that, but what baked and came out was a beautiful looking loaf. I hope you can see those spots of coconut shining out in the loaf!
It was a delight in every bite and the fact that it is eggless, you will not even miss the eggs in it. If you love coconuts and have a few ripe bananas to finish off, then you must try this bake for sure! You will sneak in a few for yourself to enjoy for the few days… 😉 What more, this loaf can be easily made vegan too. All you need to do is replace the buttermilk with almond milk or soy milk, curdled with 1/4 tsp of vinegar for 10 minutes, and you are ready to go!
Eggless Banana Coconut Bread
- 1 1/2 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 3 medium ripe bananas mashed (a little more than a cup)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease a large loaf pan well.
- Whisk ingredients from flours to coconut in bowl well till combined.
- In a jug, whisk the mashed bananas, coconut oil and buttermilk well and pour over the dry ingredients. Fold in till combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 60 to 70 minutes, till the skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before flipping onto a wire rack to cool completely.
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2017…