I believe there is no dearth to recipes of chocolate cakes, definitely no. 🙂 So today, I go ahead and post my current favorite. I mention “current”, since my preferred chocolate cake keeps changing whenever I bake a new recipe and fall for it. 😀 I first loved the Steamed Chocolate Cake, till I made the One Bowl Chocolate Cake, and then the vegan one and the eggless one are constantly in the competition. The final cake I fell in love was with buttermilk, and now, it has got replaced by this… 😉
To make the story short, I love chocolate cake. I only have one condition – they need to be soft, fluffy and moist. Somehow the dense cakes like the devil’s food does not appeal to me much, even though I love brownies. But I guess, slowly I am slowly warming up to those type of cakes too.
Yogurt is definitely an ingredient used in chocolate cakes, like this French version but I wanted to make something different. That is when my mind suddenly went to the pack of labneh in the fridge. I don’t buy labneh that often, except when I see it on offer, since Rasha loves it slathered on her bread and sprinkled with some zaatar. The pack I usually buy is the small one, which gets over soon, but this pack was big and I had to finish it before its date. That is when I thought, why not try replacing yogurt in a chocolate cake?
The labneh gave such an amazing moistness to the cake that I can’t explain. It was such a satisfying bake, to the say the least. I normally don’t frost my cakes, but I went ahead with making a ganache and it was a win. The girls ate up half the cake without even waiting it to cool completely. I could hear “mmm” and “yumm” as they enjoyed their slices. 🙂 Isn’t that all what a mom needs? 😀
Chocolate Labneh Cake with Chocolate Ganache
- 2 medium eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 170 gm labneh
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour'
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- FOR GANACHE:
- 120 gm cream
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips packed
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, labneh and sugar till smooth. Whisk in the oil and vanilla.
- Add the coffee and cocoa powder and whisk till smooth.
- Sift in the ingredients from flour to salt, and fold till all moist. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes till skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before flipping onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- For the ganache, scald the cream, do not boil. Add the chocolate chips and keep it undisturbed or five minutes.
- Mix well till combined and allow to cool completely.
- Spread on top of the cake once both are cool. Slice and serve.
Linking this up to Valli’s Bake-a-Thon 2018 event…