We all love a good chocolate cake at home, especially me and my elder one, Rasha. We could sit and finish off it all in one sitting. Azza leans more for fruity bakes rather than chocolate, but once in a while she does love a bite. While browsing through my drafts, I was a bit upset with myself for not having posted this recipe. Can I tell you that this is the easiest chocolate cake you will ever make?
Don’t get me wrong. Run yourself through the list… You don’t need butter, eggs or diary to make this cake, so it automatically graduates to becoming vegan. All you need is some basic ingredients in your pantry, mix it through with some oil and warm water and you are ready to go. When I made this the first time during my vegan days, I was really not sure how it would turn out but believe me, I kept making this again and again especially when I have guests coming in at short notice.
I had tried a few vegan chocolate cake recipes before this one but this recipe is what I finally loved and adapted it to our tastes. First of all, the cake is really chocolaty and moist. You will really not miss your butter and eggs while having slice after slice. It is so easy to make that you wouldn’t want to go for any other recipe.
I have kept the sugar to the minimal and served up the cake with a dusting of icing sugar. You can replace the brown sugar with normal granulated sugar, though I love the flavor and color that brown sugar gives to chocolate cakes. Another big pointer for this cake is to use coffee instead of plain warm water. I have tried with both and loved the coffee version more. So it is for you to choose what you would like to go for. 🙂 Do make it for a lazy afternoon tea time and I am sure you won’t regret making it or eating it! Off to the recipe…
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water refer notes
- 1/2 cup oil I used sunflower oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold till well combined - do not overbeat! The batter would be thick.
- Bake for 30 minutes till skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for five minutes before flipping onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle icing sugar and serve.