Weekends come with a sigh of relief. The long weekend actually made me slightly under the weather. My throat is sore and most of the time my eyes are puffed up thanks to allergic reactions. I don’t like the way I am feeling even though it has subsided quite a bit with the medication. I am not sure how much I can rest over the weekend, but sincerely hoping to… Meanwhile, I am looking forward to the next week with a lot of excitement. Some little changes on the personal front is what I am expecting, InShaAllah… As we progress in age, we have to seriously look and take care of ourselves and hopefully this step will be the start to an array of change, InShaAllah… I will keep myself updated on IG so do follow me there! It will be just to keep myself motivated and not get lost in the process… 😀
Trying new chocolate cakes never tire me. I have tried a lot of chocolate cakes and have posted a few on the blog, but if you ask me my favorite, I am yet to discover it. 🙂 I love plain cakes, with no frosting whatsoever, not because I don’t like to have frosted cakes but just because I am very lazy to do them. After baking the French Yogurt Cake and absolutely loving it, I had to try this cake which I had chanced upon in David Lebovitz’s book “The Sweet Life in Paris“. In the book, he attributes to the recipe to a lady he met during his stay in Paris, who used to bake these as snack cakes for her children’s after school treat. The only thing I did was to bake it as a loaf. What followed was a crumbly cake. It isn’t moist or gooey, but it has a crumbly texture and makes perfect for afternoon tea or even your breakfast. I love the fact that this cake uses melted chocolate instead of cocoa powder for the flavor. I will hopefully do a review of the book someday, since it has some amazing French pastry recipes that I must try, but not all of a sudden now! 😀 Till then, do enjoy this recipe…
- 200 gm semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup yogurt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate with ¼ cup oil through brain marie or on very low flame. Once melted and smooth, take off the heat and allow to cook slightly.
- In another bowl, whisk the remaining oil, yogurt, sugar, eggs and vanilla essence till well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the middle and pour the yogurt mixture. Fold till nicely moist.
- Now add in the melted chocolate and mix well till smooth.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or till the skewer comes out clean. if the top is browning too fast, then cover the pan with foil and continue to bake till done.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack till fully cooled. Slice and serve.