I have been on a dry spree as far as my thoughts are concerned. Somehow my head is quite empty. It is not that there is nothing much to share, but it is more of my head being empty most of the time. There are few tension filled moments happening, but then I guess the best way to live through life and not stress yourself is by looking at what you already have – four walls that protect you, food to eat, a nice bed to sleep, your family, your parents to talk to, your good friends to fall on to, etc. After all, didn’t Allah tells us that we are created of haste…
Of late, the stress has getting on to me a bit too much. I have been mentioning that I am trying to hold on to my lost weight, but as soon as I came back from vacation, my body just gave up and shot up to show all my crappy eating over the past few months. It made me realize that our body is a wonderful machine. It tries its best to hold on to what it has reached as much as it wants to, but once it is done, it will show the damage. It made me realize that we can’t keep punishing ourselves for reasons that are beyond our control. Not that I have reigned in the monster, but I am trying and I am failing. But I know very soon, I am going to get it under my reign and go back to where I had reached, very soon, InShaAllah…
Coming to the recipe of the day… this cake was born out of the intention of wanting to finish off a pack of desiccated coconut that was ready to expire soon, but what a fantastic decision I had made! I have made chocolate cakes with coconut many times before and both together indeed make a great pair – read Bounty chocolate and the topping of the Lamingtons! One recipe that I made off that packet were these delicious laddoos and the remaining went into the this cake. Yes, you can imagine that I buy huge packs and just leave them unattended in the pantry, only to surface at the time I do some deep cleaning and then go on a mad rush, just to avoid it from landing up in the garbage. 🙁 I am somehow way better now, but can’t say completely…
OK, coming back to this delicious cake, this was a total winner. The buttery cake had the specks of the coconut in it and the mild flavor of the coconut milk used, so in fact, it is double coconut! More than the cake, I loved the creamy coconuty ganache that went on top of the cake. It just gave the coconut cum chocolate lover in me all the reason to indulge in that delicious cake. If you are a coconut fan, then this is a cake you must try. Doesn’t matter if you don’t like chocolate, this cake will want you to become one! Off to the recipe…
Chocolate Coconut Cake
- 100 gm butter softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar increase more for sweetness
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups flour I took half wholewheat and half all purpose
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1 400 ml can coconut milk
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- For frosting:
- 100 gm dark chocolate
- 100 gm cream
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan with cocoa powder or bread crumbs.
- Beat the soft butter, sugar and eggs for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, sift the flours, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add half the flour mixture and half the coconut milk into the beaten mixture and beat for a minute.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and coconut milk and beat till it is well combined.
- Fold in the dessicated coconut. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes till skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for five minutes before flipping onto the rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, melt the chocolate and cream and mix till well combined. Fold in the dessicated coconut. Allow it to cool. Spread on top of the cake. Serve.