For this week’s theme of “Kid’s Delight – Snacks and Bites” for the Blogging Marathon #98, I am jumping in with these Pizza Rolls that I baked for Rasha’s class party along with the Brookies. You must be wondering what did I make for Azza then. She came home saying that her teacher asked her to make some “healthy sandwich” and that too only 12 of them. I was a bit concerned. Only 12? And that too sandwich? I asked her again and again, and she kept saying “yes”. I ended up making chicken salad sandwich for her class, which didn’t take much time as Rasha’s goodies took. Anyway… 😀
Rasha actually wanted pizza. But then making mini pizza is a small pain, especially for a class party. So I convinced her that I would make rolls, so that they are easier to carry and eat. After thinking for sometime, she agreed. These rolls get done in flat one hour, since we don’t proof the dough. That explains why it has a little more yeast than a pizza dough would usually have. Despite the lack of proofing, the end result are super fluffy rolls with a heavy pizza flavor. I didn’t add any filling, since I didn’t want any child to miss eating it. We all know how fussy kids can be over a piece of olive or capsicum on pizzas, hehe…
There is only one catch for these rolls – they are best when warm. So it tastes amazing the day it is baked, or even the next day when warmed. So always make sure to warm them and have in case if there are some leftovers. Off to the recipe… 🙂
Easy Pizza Rolls
- 1 cup wholewheat flour aatta
- 1 cup all purpose flour plus more if needed
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Lukewarm water as needed
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste
- Seasonings as needed I used oregano, thyme, paprika, garlic powder and pepper
- 200 gm grated mozarella cheese
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the olive oil and rub in. Add water little by little and knead into a soft, non-sticky dough. Use more flour if needed.
- Cover and allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Grease a jelly roll pan.
- Oil a clean surface and spread the dough into a rectangle.
- Spread the tomato paste and sprinkle in the seasonings. Top with mozarella cheese.
- Roll from the bottom to top tightly till it represents a log. Cut into small rolls.
- Arrange on the tray with some spacing in between. Sprinkle some more cheese on top. (optional)
- Bake for 15 minutes. Grill the top for a minute.
- Serve as is or allow to cool and enjoy.
After slicing the roll, you can cling wrap each piece individually and freeze them for upto one month. When you wish to bake, thaw it on a tray and bake as mentioned.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see what the other Blogging Marathoners are doing this BM#98.