Azza: Alla… (No…)
Me: Pinne Hindiya samsarikka? (Does she speak Hindi?)
*BTW, my kids learned Hindi only by watching cartoons… at least one advantage of watching them! Hehe…*
Azza: *Shakes her head to imply no*
Me: Pinne entha paraya? (Then what she speaks?)
Azza: Ummi chamcharikkuna pole… (Like how ummi speaks…)It didn’t run through my head initially, then I realized that she was indicating that her teacher communicates to her in Malayalam. Since she didn’t know how to say the so-called-complicated name of our language, she gave me this response! I am awestruck at how they frame their responses… kids these days! 🙂
Whenever I am not in a mood to cook, I always go for pasta as it is one of the easiest things to make, yet it tastes delicious. One thing I love about pasta is that it is an any time meal – you can serve it as breakfast, lunch or dinner, or even as a quick snack. This is just another way of enjoying pasta with white sauce, also known as bechamel sauce, adding chicken and vegetables to make it a complete meal. You can make it with just chicken or only vegetables as well. Sharing the way I make it…
Chicken Pasta in White Sauce
- 400 gm macaroni
- 350 gm boneless chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 blob butter
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 400 ml milk
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp pepper powder
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- Cook the macaroni/ pasta till el dente. Drain and set aside.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces. Add in salt, pepper and garlic and cook in the pressure cooker for one whistle.
- Once the pressure is gone, drain the chicken off its stock and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter. Add the all purpose flour and saute just for a minute. Ensure that this is done on low flame so that the flour doesn't burn.
- Immediately add in the milk and the reserved chicken stock and continuously stir to ensure no lumps are formed. Keep stirring till the mixture starts thickening.
- Add in the oregano, thyme, paprika, pepper powder and stock cubes and continue to stir till the mixture thickens.
- Add in the chicken and the vegetables and cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame. Adjust the salt.
- Finally add the cooked macaroni, give it a nice mix and cook on low flame for around 5 minutes. Switch off and serve warm...