Coming to today’s recipe is another easy peasy snack that my umma makes when we have some ripe bananas staring at us, with nobody ready to eat. Personally, I like the half ripe, hard to bite bananas. It seems they have lower fat compared to ripe bananas, because the sugars are yet to be released. But if those ripe bananas are converted into this, then it is really difficult to stop it with one or two! You just keep munching on them, sipping the tea in between, till your hand searches in the plate for more and then you realize that you have finished all of them in that sitting!!! Contagious, it is!
Pinjiyappam - Banana Fritters
- 1 cup all-purpose flour maida
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 large ripe plantain/ 2 ripe bananas/ 4-5 small ripe bananas nicely mashed
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup sugar adjust according to banana's sweetness
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 1 pinch cardamom powder
- A pinch of salt
- Oil for frying
- Combine all the ingredients from flour to salt into a bowl and mix well. Add water only if needed, because the bananas will facilitate the binding.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan till really hot. When you drop a bead, it would float up.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter and fry on medium heat till the fritters are browned.
- Savour warm with a cup of chai!