Umma always makes this moru curry to pair with sambaar for rice. More than the sambaar, I prefer this moru curry. Once everybody is done, I would drink up the remaining, just like I do to her tamarind rasam. Most of my Saturdays, I resort to this curry as it just whips up in no time and tastes just too good with rice. My idea of nice cozy lunch has to be some rice with this moru curry, beans stir fry and nice fat piece of fried fish, preferably king-fish! Sheesh… I am feeling hungry now… ever since we have shifted, I have not even made a decent meal! Hmm… Off to this easy peasy recipe…
Moru Curry ~ Simple Buttermilk Curry
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 green chilli
- 2 shallots chopped
- Salt to taste
- FOR TEMPERING:
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried chillies
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Combine all ingredients from yogurt to salt in a blender till it becomes smooth. There should be no bites of shallots or chilli.
- In a small saucepan, heat oil. Splutter mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add the dried chillies and curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Minimize the flame to the lowest and slowly pour the yogurt mixture. Keep on simmer for 3-5 minutes - do not boil. Boiling will cause breakage of the yogurt.
- Switch off and serve with rice!