Even though we are in March and the sun is getting mightier by the day, the nights are still cool, good enough for a nice cozy walk outside. Please don’t think that I do that, the place I live in now is literally a scary area to go for lonely walks, unlike where I used to stay before, bang in the town! At times, I keep craving for hot chocolate, which I make in two ways – with chocolate and with cocoa. The time I heard about Mexican hot chocolate, I really wanted to try. Believe me, if you like a kick in your hot drink, then this is one for you. The time the drink goes down your throat, the chilli creates a nice jiggle that makes you want to cry! Such a funny feeling hehe… I have made this a few times and have clicked so many times, but finally I am able to get a decent picture and get it to you. Do try it when you are in a mood for something different – as different as the Yuan Yang!
Looking for another hot chocolate variety? Then here is the West African style!
Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 1/2 cup full fat milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 inch piece cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks I used 71%
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp honey or sugar
- Combine the milk, water, cinnamon and chocolate in a saucepan. Bring to boil.
- Cook on low flame till the chocolate melts.
- As the milk starts to boil, add the chilli flakes and cook till the mixture comes to a rolling boil.
- Switch off, add the almond extract and sugar and mix well.
- Sieve into your favorite mug and enjoy the spicy drink!