Today, the climate is amazing. While the kids were gone and I was washing their glasses, I peeped out of the kitchen window to see that it was so dark, that I doubted for a moment whether it was actually time for them to go to school and time for me to leave home! 😉 It was so dark at 6:30 am, so unlike yesterday… Moving out, I see the skies are totally overcast and it had drizzled. As this post goes live, it is totally looking dark outside with really heavy clouds, ready to pour down any moment. I wouldn’t really mind the beautiful weather, but I sincerely hope that I don’t have to go through the same bout of fever for the whole family. InShaAllah, while hoping for the best, thought I must share this one… 🙂
I have already shared the basic popcorn post here. This is just a way of adding some jazz to your popcorn. The first time I had caramel popcorn was at the Gormet Popcorn stall at Dubai Mall. They do charge a bomb for it, but it just disppeared in no time! When I saw this recipe here, I had to make it somehow. With the large quantity of popcorn that I had already made, I took out some and made this absolutely delicious variation. Once it was done, I was sad that it was finished! Hmm… got to make this again soon, for sure! The baking makes the popcorn more crunchy on the outside and as you sink your teeth in, the juicy caramel just sets in! Yum… Without tempting you all much, off to the recipe…
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels, popped (instruction already on the blog)
- 25 gm butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- A pinch salt
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- A pinch baking soda
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees. Line a baking sheet.
- In a heavy saucepan, add the butter, sugar, honey, salt and vanilla essence and combine. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, stirring occassionally.
- Once boiled, keep the flame on simmer and cook the mixture for a further five minutes.
- Switch off and add the soda. The caramel will start to bubble and sizzle. Allow it to settle.
- Pour this caramel into the popcorn and toss till well covered.
- Spread on the sheet evenly and bake for 20 minutes, stirring every five minutes to ensure proper baking.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.