Isn’t life about moving on with the tide, and being graceful whether it is happiness or sadness? A beautiful slide Iwould like to share today…
Today’s recipe is a very rich chicken curry, which is definitely a treat! I adapted this recipe from a very good cookbook called “The Essential Kerala Cookbook“, which has a huge list of amazing Kerala based recipes but unfortunately does not have pictures to see how the end result looks like! 🙁 I hate cookbooks like that, but the recipes in this were so traditional that I had to get it. This particular recipe was mentioned as a Mopila (Muslim community) recipe and once I cooked it, I got it from the taste! Our recipes are not extremely spicy and have a high dependence on coconut, cashews and ingredients likewise that add a slight sweetness and richness to the recipe. This curry is no different. I must say that this was perfect match with chapathis but it would taste even better with some Neychoru. Off to the recipe…
Kasuvandiparippu Thair Kozhi Masala ~ Chicken Masala with Cashew-nuts and Yogurt
- 1 kg chicken cut into medium pieces
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp cashews chopped
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1 pc cinnamon
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- For paste:
- 2 1/2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- Clean and pat the chicken dry.
- Mix the yogurt, turmeric and salt together.
- Add the chicken and mix well. Allow to marinate for at least one hour.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan. Fry the cashew nuts briefly. Drain and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil. Add the cinnamon and fry briefly.
- Add the onion and saute till soft. Mix the red chilli powders in half cup of water and pour into the onion. Saute for couple of minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken along with all the marinade and cook till the chicken gets done. Keep sauteing occasionally so that it does not stick.
- Make a smooth paste of the ingredients mentioned under "for paste". Once the chicken is almost done, add the paste and cook for five minutes.
- Switch off and garnish with the fried cashew nuts. Serve warm with chapathis, rice or even bread!
I cooked the chicken in a pressure cooker on medium for one whistle and allowed the pressure to go by itself. Therefore, I had some curry. If you cook in a saucepan, it will be a drier masala.