A spicy soul-warming stew of meat mince, beans and bell peppers, mainly from Texas and Mexico…
We have been having some extremely chilled days during the past few days. The only comfortable time seems to be the afternoon. Otherwise, the cold is so bone chilling that you just wouldn’t want to move out of your throw. I have been walking around in socks and slippers and wearing my sweater, which is very unusual of me. I was thinking it was just my problem till I realized everyone irrespective of their age was talking about how actually cold it is. I am sincerely relieved… 😀
There are already a lot of soups on the blog that you can pick up to make for yourself and your family in this amazing weather. I am usually not a person who likes to cook from out of my cupboard but I have made an exception on this particular recipe. I have been seeing a lot of American sitcoms and somehow if it is based towards the Texas side, then “Chilli Con Carne”, it is. The name sounded very intriguing, and even the look of it was very tempting, so I have to search what it is. Minced meat, red beans, some spices and tomato sauce, cooked up till done into a bowl that hugs your tummy – there, that is what it is…
If you go ahead and look at the recipe, it is very basic. Many ingredients are simply grab and throw. The cooking time needed is only for the minced lamb or beef, but that also takes minimal effort. All you need to do is add a pack of minced meat, a pack of crushed tomatoes – I vouch for Pomi! – and a tin of kidney beans or white beans, whatever you fancy. I dropped in some bell peppers for a little vegetable twist and a can of sweet corn, because, well, my girls love it. A little bit of stirring and sitting, and around 40 minutes, I have a bowl of comfort smelling amazing in the kitchen and looking so drool-worthy!
This is perfect for the weather out there, so I would urge to bookmark it, add the list to your grocery list and get cooking. The below portion is quite good for a huge family and there will leftovers for the next day too, which is even better. It just tastes amazing the next day, like biriyani. 😉 Leaving you all with this simple recipe…
Easy Chilli Con Carne
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 onion minced
- 2 red bell peppers cut lengthwise
- 650 gm beef mince washed and drained
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 500 gm pack crushed tomatoes I used Pomi
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 gm tin red kidney beans drained
- 400 gm tin sweet corn drained (optional)
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Saute the garlic and onion till just wilted.
- Add the red peppers and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the mince and cook for a few minutes, breaking it apart with your wooden spoon. Sprinkle in some sugar.
- As it releases its fat, add in the spice powders and give a good mix.
- Add in the crushed tomato, stock cubes and tomato paste and give a good mix. Add water if necessary.
- Cook on low flame till the sauce thickens and the meat is cooked.
- Add the drained kidney beans and corn, if using, and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Adjust seasoning, sprinkle in the coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or bread, or have as it is.