Delicious truffles made with leftover chocolate cake and cream…
This week, for the theme “Anniversary Special” for the Blogging Marathon #151, after posting the Masala Coke, I chose to post these truffles I made some time ago due to a failed chocolate cake attempt. Yes, a failed one… I was baking the cake after ages. I know you wouldn’t believe me if I say this but I haven’t been baking in a really long time. There was a time when I used to make one cake a week at least, but now it is a once-in-a-while affair. If I am going to see a friend, then I may bake something, otherwise, for just us to eat, I don’t. So that sums up the feeling of rustiness when I baked this chocolate cake and it stuck to the pan. On top of that, it was awfully dry that no one wanted to eat it. My heard didn’t want to throw it, and so I decided to recycle it. I was so glad I did…
I already have a truffle recipe with cream cheese as the binder, so I went ahead and used cream and sugar in this case – a very straight and simple way to make them. Most of the cake truffle recipes online use ganache, which I feel makes it extremely sweet. I did a coating of melted dark chocolate and a little coconut oil. It was so delicious that within two days, it disappeared from my fridge. At least, the truffles had a better fate that my doomed cake. 😉 Whether you have a flop cake or you have storebought cake that you want to repurpose, then these truffles are a great idea… They are easy to make and of course a hit at any party. Off to this simple recipe.
Chocolate Cream Truffles
- Chocolate cake crumbled
- Thick cheese As needed
- Icing sugar As per sweetness
- A pinch of salt
- A dash of vanilla
- 100 gm dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Crumble the cake well in a bowl without any lumps.
- Add just enough cream, icing sugar, vanilla and salt to bring the mixture together. It should just hold shape, it shouldn't be too sticky.
- Roll into small balls and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave for a minute. Give it a stir till smooth.
- Dunk each of the truffles, roll in the chocolate mix and place onto the tray. Keep a small spacing among each.
- Keep in the fridge and allow it to cool.