For example, the time this cake was baked… never mind, I don’t think I have to dwell on it. It was one of my sneak bakes when D and umma had gone for their medical check ups. When she came back, she saw the cake on the cooling rack and was a bit upset. She does not mind small cakes, but then this one was quite huge as per her! And as it normally happens, before we can even enjoy a nice big slice, guests come in and take away a huge chunk of the cake leaving us only leftovers and craving for more! Exactly what had happened with the Banana Crumbs Cake that I had baked… hehe… At least then umma feels satisfied that the whole lot of “sweet” did not land up only in our tummies… But I must say that this is a guilt free cake, with wholewheat and the goodness of dates, and hardly any ingredients to make it. My first bake with dates, this is and definitely going to be a repeat feature… Recipe adapted from here
Eggless Wholewheat Dates Cake
- 30 dates pitted and chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups wholewheat flour aatta
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Soak the dates in milk for at least 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 inch pan well. Set aside.
- Mix the wholewheat flour and soda in a bowl.
- Grind the dates, milk and sugar to a smooth paste. Empty into a bowl.
- Whisk in the oil till well combined. Sift in the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk till smooth and no lumps are formed. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes or till skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for sometime.
- Then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Slice and enjoy this guiltless pleasure...
You can add nuts for some additional crunch, which I didn't add.