We are “eat the fruit as is” category people. My girls and I prefer eating our fruits in its pure form, so does HD. The juice form is reserved for when we go out and want to enjoy something sweet. Rasha literally loathes any dessert which has fruit in it, and that includes the fruit salad and the fruit custard. 😕 I really don’t understand it, however, food is also personal choice, isn’t it? 🙂 Having said that, sometimes I do crave for fruit chat once in a while. But I am not fond of the cutting work that goes into making a fruit chaat. Hehe… I have always been making it this way, till I was introduced to another variety during last Ramadan…
I had mentioned previously that HD runs a Pakistani eatery and during Ramadan, they make chaats and pakodas for Iftar time. When the chef tries something new, he sends a small sample to our home. I am not a fan of that practice, since it causes my food to go waste, so it has been stopped for now. One of the things I love from there is the creamy fruit chaat that the cook makes. All those fruits tossed into the tangy cream is a bliss to have. However, I am not a fan of eating anything that is too calorie laden, and hence my version of this chaat is modified. Yes, I have used cream to toss in, but the rest of it is yogurt. The rest of the ingredients are the usual suspects. If you like it a little more rich, you can add a couple of tablespoons of condensed milk. But I wouldn’t change the below for anything. So delicious this is… Off to the recipe…
Creamy Fruit Chaat
- 1 mango chopped into small cubes
- 1 apple chopped into cubes
- 1 banana chopped into cubes
- 20-30 grapes chopped (I used half green and half red)
- 4 tbsp raisins soaked and drained
- Juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped toasted nuts didn't add but recommeded
- 125 ml pack thick cream
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt refer notes
- 3 tbsp sugar or honey
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- Toss all the fruits together into a large bowl. Sprinkle the lime juice and toss. Add the nuts if using at this stage and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together the cream, yogurt and the powders till well blend.
- Pour over the fruits and toss to coat well. Keep refrigerated till the time of serving.
Adjust the quantity of the yogurt to the quantity of your fruits.