A month after the other seems to come in full speed, and I guess it comes faster when it is for something exciting! Even though I am very new to the Secret Recipe Club – this is my third post, I am seen excitedly waiting for the email to come and start my browsing through the assigned blog for the recipe of my choice to try! So here I am with this month’s post… 🙂
I was assigned a blog with a very interesting name: Join us, Pull up a Chair. Heather, who runs the blog, basically asks us to get comfortable, feel at home and to read on. 🙂 I loved the name, seriously! 🙂 She has a variety of interesting recipes on the blog and since I was somehow fixated at wanting to make some granola, since it has been a long time since I had made them, I went through her Breakfast section, and found just what I wanted! Shouldn’t I say that she has an amazing range of granola on her page! Initially I wanted to make the Coconut Almond Granola, since it had everything I loved, but finally this recipe that I have tried won. Why?
- I have recently been smitten by the Biscoff spread and trying to use it a little into my cooking.
- I had just bought a box of wheatgerm to try, and what a way to begin!
- I discovered that my milled flax is ready to expire by next month end 🙁 so had to use up some. Even though, the quantity remaining is not very high, but still… I hate wastage…
- And finally, it has no fat! No butter, no oil, nothing… 🙂
Good enough reasons? Let’s quickly hope off to the recipe, which I haven’t adjusted even a bit, since I felt it didn’t need modifying, except increasing the baking time a bit. Azza was very happy to have a small bowl of this granola as her evening snack, just like that – no milk or yogurt to go with it, since it tasted delicious on its own! What more, this is so apt to serve as a quick Suhoor in case you wake up late for your morning meal during this month! 🙂 Off to the recipe…
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- ¼ cup milled flax
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup cookie butter spread (Biscoff)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees. Keep a large baking pan ready.
- In a bowl, combine from oats to salt and whisk well.
- Add the honey and cookie butter into a bowl and microwave in batches of 30 seconds till melted. Whisk well to combine.
- Add in the brown sugar and whisk till melted. Add in the vanilla.
- Add this into the dry ingredients and mix well to coat. Spread on the baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.