One of it was cooking with apples. I love baking with bananas but apples were never on my radar till I read how lovely they taste in cakes. This is the first cake I baked with them and I literally fell in love with it. I actually baked it to give it to umma’s relative, so we just got a taster. Umma wanted me to bake it for ourselves before they left, alas, I couldn’t repeat baking it. Yes, definitely one of my regrets, one of the other which was this cake. InShaAllah, when she comes down on visit sometime later, I should bake this again. Till then, off to the recipe… Recipe adapted from here
Linking this post to Simply Food’s “Let’s Cook with Apples” event…
Wholewheat Jewish Apple Cake
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 small apples peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Grease and flour a small bundt pan generously.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add the oil, milk, eggs and vanilla. Mix well without lumps.
- Mix the apples, cinnamon and sugar in another bowl.
- Pour half the batter. Spread half the apple mixture.
- Pour the remaining batter and top with the remaining apple mixture.
- Bake for 60 minutes till done. Cool in pan. Slice and serve warm!