The other option was the pot pie, which is a pie with a flaky crust, usually puff pasty. This, just like popovers, can be savory or sweet, though savory is a more common one, with vegetable and meat filling. I was really tempted by the Chocolate Caramel Banana Pot Pie, but I had to keep aside my sweet tooth, as I was already having too much of sweet, and settle for a savory pot pie. The suggested recipe was this vegeterian pot pie, but with permission, I played around with the flavors used for my recipe. I referred to many of the recipes I had in my cut-outs and found that as long as anything is cooked in a white sauce and is topped with flaky pastry, it is fine for a pot pie! So there you go, I kept it nice and simple and made it for dinner. B and I carried the leftovers for lunch the next day and devoured them as well!
Easy Chicken and Vegetable Pot Pie
- 300 gm boneless chicken cut into tiny bites
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 25 gm butter
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 small onion minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 450 ml low fat milk
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 8 puff pastry squares
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- Cook the chicken in a pressure cooker with the turmeric and red chilli powders along with some salt till done. Reserve the stock aside - I got around 100 ml.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Heat butter in a pan. Saute the garlic till a nice aroma comes.
- Add the onions and saute till transparent. Add the flour and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk till there are no lumps.
- Cook till the mixture starts thickening.
- Add the chicken stock and mix well.
- Add the frozen vegetables and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken, adjust the salt and pepper.
- Finally add the garam masala powder and coriander leaves and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Switch off and transfer this chicken mixture to a baking tray.
- Line the puff pastry squares on the top. Brush with the egg on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes till the top is browned. Serve warm!
The spice levels were very mild. You may add chopped green chillies for more spice.