After the Avocado Brownies and the Cream Cheese Brownies, here comes the third brownie under the theme “Let Them Eat Brownies” in the Blogging Marathon #78. I had to choose to share a vegan brownie, since this is one area that I am loving to bake. Baking a cake or a brownie without any diary or eggs is a challenge in itself. Making it successful is very tricky too. You can browse through the vegan bakes on the blog here.
While craving for brownies, I landed up on this link which called it the “ultimate” vegan brownie. The title itself was so tempting for me to get moving on with it. The vegan avocado brownie on the blog had a really fudge like texture, which was missing in this brownie, but would tick all the right buttons for sweet tooths who like more cake like brownies, just like it did with my colleagues.
As you can see from the recipe, the eggs are replaced by flax eggs and the butter with vegan butter, or margarine like I used here. I do not approve of the use of margarine, but at times due to dietary restrictions, if you are forced to use it in small quantities, it is OK. Finding vegan butter here is tough and the source available are really expensive too! After trying this, I felt I should have tried with oil, since the fat is anyway melted, but then sometimes the brain doesn’t work when it is needed to! 🙂
The brownies have more flour with limited wet ingredients, making the batter thick and therefore, the brownies very cake like. If you like your brownies like cake, then this one is for you. They are full of chocolate flavor thanks to the cocoa and melted dark chocolate. Off to the recipe…
Ultimate Vegan Brownies
- 2 tbsp flax meal combined with 3 tbsp water
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 7 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 ounces vegan dark chocolate chopped (I used drops)
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 80 gm margarine melted
- 2 tsp vanila extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line an 8 inch brownie pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine flour, soda, cocoa powder, sugar and salt and whisk well. Set aside.
- Pour the water on the chocolate and whisk till melted. Add the margarine and beat well till combined. Add in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and fold in using cut and fold method, with a spatula till well moistened. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Take out and cool completely in pan, before cutting and serving!