A crispy deep fried patties made with canned tuna and potatoes…
On a cold day, spicy snacks with a cup of hot chai, coffee or even better, hot chocolate is a big yes. However, as I am working, doing this is quite restricted to the weekends. These are very easy to churn out, as what is used does not require much of cooking, except for the potatoes. This is comfort food at its best, as far as I am concerned… 🙂
Updated on December 1, 2016 with new pictures: I can’t believe that I did a post with just hardly three lines as text during the first month of blogging… 🙂 Tuna cutlets are definitely my favorite anytime, mainly due to the ease of making it, as well as the delicious taste anytime of the day. Tuna is something I have in my pantry at any given point of time, since it makes a super easy dinner when needed. However, my family isn’t very fond of it, so I get to make it only when I crave for it. However, if turned into these cutlets, there are always takers for the same. Dunk into some ketchup and accompanied with something hot, this snack is always a winner…
Glad to revisit back this post after a long time with better pictures…
Old picture below…
- 2 tins of canned Tuna can be chunks or flakes - I prefer chunks though
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 2 meduim potatoes boiled and smashed
- 3 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- Curry leaves and coriander little, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3 medium eggs lightly beaten
- Sufficient breadcrumbs to coat
- Oil to fry
- Drain the tuna of the oil to the maximum possible. Heat up a fry pan and once it gets hot, dump the tuna onto it. If you are using chunks, smash it lightly with your wooden ladle.
- Continuously saute the tuna till it becomes dry, ie. the oil portion remaining will vanish and coat all over the tuna.
- To this, add the ginger paste, turmeric and paprika and give it a nice stir. Switch off the flame and allow to cool.
- Add this mixture to the smashed potato. Add the chilies, onion, curry leave and coriander and mix well to incorporate all the ingredients properly.
- Check salt levels and add as necessary.
- Make them into balls and flatten in the center, dip it nicely in the beaten egg and coat in breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry till golden brown and enjoy with ketchup or hot sauce!!!
If the mixture is too soggy, add breadcrumbs to tighten it.
The spices used above is minimal. You can add pepper to it, or add more chopped chillies for a higher spice level.
A wonderful addition to this cutlet is a small tin of sweet corn. It gives a beautiful crunch to this cutlet.
You can even add a Maggi Vege cube to this for an awesome flavor.