OK, I have no clue why this drink is called so. Even Google couldn’t help. The fact that this drink originated in New York is fine, but even more fascinating is to call it “egg cream”, when there is neither egg nor cream in this! After a few browsing, I found this article which may give in some light on its history. I first saw the recipe in the pamphlets, that were in the pack of the NuNaturals kit that my sister lunged along with her from the States last March. It didn’t appeal to me much as I thought the combination was odd and there was no picture showing me how the stuff looked. I then found it again a book I bought at a thrift sale called “Just Four Ingredients” and this time the picture appealed to me.
First of all, look at the layers! The chocolate layer, the drink and the bubbles on top just look amazing! I was really apprehensive of how the combination of milk and sparkling water would be, but to my surprise, the drink turned out to be rich yet light. Enjoy the beauty for sometime and then quickly give a stir and drink it on! Hehe… Off to this very easy yet different recipe…
- 4 tbsp chocolate syrup
- ½ cup cold milk
- As much as sparkling water required
- Pour the chocolate syrup on the bottom of a tall glass without staining anywhere in the glass.
- Pour the milk over it without disturbing the syrup.
- Pour the sparkling water over it till the rim of the glass.
- While drinking, stir so that the chocolate syrup gets fully incorporated.