The Home Baker’s Challenge was pretty active for more than a year but after the bun challenge, for which I baked these delicious Iyengar Style Khaara Buns, Priya akka decided to give a break to the event and restart in September. Since she was still occupied with lot more matters, she was not thinking of restarting the challenge but a small message and the plethora of support that came by encouraged me to host this month so as to restart the event.
So here I am as the host for this month, and the theme given was “Baking with Oats”. I had chosen a few interesting bakes with oats, since now it is one ingredient that has grown away from just being used as porridge. One of the recipes I had selected were these cookies, that I had baked off the wrapper of the pack of Hershey’s Butterscotch Chips I had purchased from the Candylicious outlet at Dubai Mall. The cookie didn’t disappoint, though I found the butterscotch chips a bit too sweet to my liking! You can easily replace them with chocolate chips but then the title of the post would change! 😉
- 120 gm butter, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup raw sugar/ brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Beat soft butter and sugar till creamy and fluffy.
- Add the egg and essence and beat till well combined.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, soda and cinnamon powder in a bowl.
- Add it to the wet ingredients and beat till well combined.
- Add in the oats and butterscotch chips and fold in till done.
- Drop spoonfuls or shape with hands and put on ungreased baking tins.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes for chewy cookies and more for crunchier ones!
To know what all my other fellow team mates baked for the challenge, you can check up in the below link!