Here’s is the third in the 3-back-to-back simple mango desserts, after the Mango Cream and Mango Muhallabiah. When anybody hears Mastani, I think the first impression that comes into the head is Deepika Padukone in the golden dress and that big head gear, singing, “Deewani Ho Gai”. 😀 I guess that was a bad joke… 😉
Jokes apart, Mango Mastani is said to have originated from Pune. Actually while trying to read through how this drink got named, I did find that it is named after Mastani, whom Bajirao fell for in Maratha history. I am not going to write in so much of history now in this post, but they say that this drink was named as Mastani, since it was so pretty to look at, that the shop fellow thought it looked as pretty as Mastani, considered an epitome of beauty!
So what is different in this milkshake, you ask? Nothing much, it is still a milkshake but a thicker one. There is more mango than there is milk or ice cream added to blend the shake. The milkshake is really thick and filling too, that you can replace it with a meal. 😀
I have used frozen milk to make it feel like a soft serve smoothie. The use of ice cream makes it even more thicker. Usually, vanilla ice cream is used but I used mango flavored ones to improve the flavor. Do not forget the extra scoop of ice cream and the generous sprinkling of nuts and cherries/ tutti frutti to add more glamor to the already awesome looking milkshake! Off to the recipe…
- 2 large mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 heaped tbsp ice cream (I used mango flavored)
- ¾ cup cold/ frozen milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- FOR TOPPING:
- 2 scoops of mango ice cream
- Nuts of choice (I used pistachios and almonds)
- Tutti frutti or glazed cherries
- Combine the mangoes, ice cream, milk and sugar in a blender and blend till it is smooth and thick.
- Pour into cups and top with ice cream, sprinkle with nuts and tutti frutti/ cherries.
- Serve immediately.