This is the chicken dish I had prepared to go along with the Coconut Milk Rice that I posted last week. A dry chicken preparation, actually too easy to cook up, as the only work involved seems to be the peeling and chopping of shallots!!! I love curries that use shallots instead of onions, the taste that it gives is just so elegant!!! My HD and B thought that this chicken and the rice made a perfect combination, even I felt so. This dish would go really well with some chapathis or pooris for sure… Off to the recipe… Recipe adapted from here
Kozhi Peralan - Chicken Masala Roast
- 500 gm chicken
- FOR GRINDING:
- 1 small pc cinnamon
- 2 cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 6 black peppercorn
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 heaped tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp water
- FOR MASALA:
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 3/4 cup shallots sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Grind the ingredients in the "for grinding" to a smooth paste. Marinate the chicken in this paste along with vinegar and curry leaves for 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken and marinade in a sauce pan along with the hot water.
- Cook on medium-low flame till the chicken is done. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking to the pan.
- In a frying pan, add the coconut oil. Fry the sliced shallots till browned.
- Fry the curry leaves as well. Add this to the cooked chicken and simmer for 5 minutes. Switch off.
- Serve warm with rice or chapathis.