Today’s recipe is a basic Egyptian recipe. I actually have eaten this in a lot of restaurants, however I just couldn’t find a proper recipe online. What I did was a mix of 3-4 recipes that I found and I was happy that it tasted very close to what I had eaten out. 🙂 I served with this with fried chicken and it was well accepted. It’s basically a cook-and-mix type of a recipe and not hard at all!!! This is a very simple and hearty meal, with no complications at all!!! 🙂
Koshari - Lentils and Rice with Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup macaroni
- 1/2 cup chickpeas lentils chana dal
- Salt to taste
- For the tomato sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 small tomato sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Cook the rice, macaroni and lentils in sufficient water with salt separately till done.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan on low heat, mix all the three together and keep it on simmer for 5 minutes. Switch off and serve along with the tomato sauce.
- For the sauce, heat a saucepan and pour the olive oil.
- When it heats, add the cumin and splutter it.
- Add the garlic paste and saute till a lovely aroma comes.
- Add in the onion and saute till it turns brown.
- Add in the tomato and cook till the tomato gets mashed.
- Add the paste and the spices and cook till the raw smell is gone. Adjust salt and serve along with the koshari.
2. If the tomato sauce feels too bland, you may add a bouillon cube to sauce for more flavor.