Our host for the month is Anu and the chosen cuisine was Fijian. Just taking from Anu’s word’s regarding this interesting selection:
From the interesting list that she provided, I decided to try this fried rice. Unlike the other fried rices that we are so normally used to, the rice is prepared separately and a gravy is served on top of it. It was a hearty meal at its best, with a mix of seafood, poulty and vegetables. I omitted the shrimps since I am allergic to it, but the oyster sauce did give me some intial troubles, though it didn’t prevent me from enjoying the meal! Off to the way I made it…
Looking at the pics above, though just very normal, makes me wish I get sunlight so that I don’t have to bang my head to make my pics look decent… sigh… 🙂
Hokkein Fried Rice ~ Fujian/ Fukien Fried Rice
- FOR THE RICE:
- 2 1/2 cup rice I used basmati
- 1 tsp oil
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- FOR THE GRAVY:
- 350 gm boneless chicken
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 tin 285 gm mushrooms, chopped
- 1 sachet chicken seasoning 2 stock cubes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tbsp corn flour mixed in a tbsp water
- Cook the rice till el dente and drain. Spread it on a flat surface and allow it to cool completely. Ensure that the rice does not have any lumps.
- In a wok, heat oil. Break in the eggs, season with salt and pepper. Start scrambling them till the eggs are done.
- Add the rice in three batches - add 1/3 of the rice and mix on medium heat till combined. Add the next 1/3 of the rice and mix again. Repeat with the final batch. Sprinkle in more salt and pepper as required. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Clean the boneless chicken ad pat dry.
- Chop into large pieces and season well with salt and pepper. Spray some cooking oil in a tray and layer the chicken. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Chop the chicken into small pieces and set aside.
- In a saucepan, saute the chopped chicken, carrots and mushrooms on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the seasoning (or stock cube) and water and allow to boil.
- Now add in the sauces, tomato and sugar and mix well. Allow the mixture to boil again.
- Finally add the white pepper powder for seasoning. Add salt if required.
- Add in the corn flour slurry and cook till slightly thickened. Switch off.
- For serving, spread the rice on your plate or bowl. Top with the gravy generously. Dig in!
You can use grilled chicken instead of making the chicken fresh.
Add in around 12 large shrimps, nicely cleaned, if you don't have any allergy like I do! Add it at the beginning along with the carrots, mushrooms and chicken.