The recipe for today is a simple steamed pudding, made with ingredients in your kitchen cabinet at any point of time and yummy to be true! It tastes as good as any steamed pudding would be. As soon as I got hold of the recipe, I tried it and it was a lovely looking dessert, which was really tasty as well. When you have guests coming in, this can be made in advance and pushed into your fridge, so that it becomes sufficiently cold at the time of serving.
- 10 slices normal bread
- ½ cup sugar (as per taste)
- 350 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- For caramel:
- 5 tsp sugar
- 3 tsp water
- Keep your pan ready. I used my 6' round pan, that I got with my pressure cooker.
- Mash the bread well.
- Add in the sugar and milk till you get a thick mixture - you may not need to add all the milk or may need more, depends on the bread.
- Add the vanilla essence and keep aside.
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar and water.
- Allow it to boil and get cooked, till the sugar get caramelised.
- Immediately pour into the pan and rotate for the caramel to cover the bottom of the pan almost completely.
- Transfer the bread mixture of top of it and level.
- Cover with aluminium foil and poke a few holes on the top for air circulation.
- Steam the mixture in your steamer or pressure cooker (without weight) for 20 minutes, till done. Allow it to cool and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- To serve, run a knife on the sides and slowly invert the pudding onto your plate.
- Cut into pieces and serve!!!
2. You can serve the pudding with extra butterscotch sauce or chocolate sauce, if you wish. I thought it was sweet enough as is.
3. If using milk bread, then adjust the sugar added to the bread mix accordingly.