I have already posted Masala Aleesa before, which is a complete meal in itself. I take out the masala and am posting the aleesa alone today. This is actually one way of making it. Due to the addition of chicken, this goes very well with any spicy curry or is awesome as it is. Towards our side, we don’t make aleesa but having lived in UAE and having friends who come from the northward of Kerala, I have learned this and try to make it for dinner when I remember to soak the whole wheat!!! Hehe… A very straightforward recipe with no complications as such…
Usually this dish is served at weddings and functions as starter and it is eaten with a sprinkling of sugar. I have tried that way, and would prefer it with a chicken curry at any time. For that matter, not necessarily non-veg, recently I discovered that aleesa tastes awesome with some cherupayar curry as well!!! 🙂
- 2 cups whole wheat soaked overnight
- 2 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 big pcs of cinnamon
- 3 pcs of chicken with bone
- Salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a pressure cooker and mix well.
- Pressure cook for three whistles and then leave it on low flame for around 30 minutes.
- Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself.
- Open the cooker, discard the cinnamon pieces.
- Pull out the chicken and shred the meat. Discard the bone and add the meat back into the aleesa. Once slightly cooled, using a hand blender, blend the aleesa till slightly mashed up.
- Serve warm with any spicy non-vegetarian curry!