Coming to today’s recipe – I am one egg person. When I get bored, I boil an egg and eat. If I am really in a good mood, then it’s bull’s eye. But then when I am in an elaboratemood, then my thing is scrambled eggs!!! This was one recipe that my umma used to cook every Friday or public holidays for all of us when we were in school. Nobody knows the reason why she suddenly stopped making it. Recently, I asked her and she was blank. She said, “I just stopped, that’s it!!!” That’s how blunt my umma is! 🙂
My HD also being an egg person (one thing we have pathil pathu porutham – matching 10/10!!! Hehe…) loves to have his eggs this way. On a very lazy weekend morning, scrambled eggs are absolute comfort food. Couple it up with plain or buttered toasts and a glass of orange juice or a cup of hot tea/ coffee, that is what I call the perfect blissful breakfast!!! 🙂
Updated with new pictures on April 26, 2017 : I have been wanting to update this post since so long but each time I make it, we are too hungry that we just want to dig in. 😉 Finally I was able to do it. I changed the title to reflect “Umma’s Scrambled Eggs” since this is not the authentic recipe, I would like to call it a more Malabar style version with the onions and tomatoes. =D This is one of our favorite breakfasts, so totally deserved a much better picture… 🙂
Below is the old one… morning click but a lousy mobile click… I am sure I was hungry at that time too… 😉
Umma's Scrambled Eggs
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 3 large eggs
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Heat oil in a frying pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Once done add the onion and tomatoes and cook on low flame stirring occasionally, till the tomatoes and smashed and onion looks cooked.
- Break the eggs in, sprinkle salt and pepper and continuously stir it till the egg gets scrambled and mixed with the onion and tomato.
- Cook for a couple of minutes and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with toast and juice/ tea!!! I literally go on an overdose of pepper on this one - eggs and pepper are one mighty combination!!! 🙂