Jokes aside… let me share with you a very simple chai time snack. Chopped dates dunk into a flour paste and deep fried… is just an awesome combination with tea for any evening. This is one of umma’s quick fix snacks when she runs out of ideas. Dates is something we always have at home. D would want to bite in something sweet after lunch, so if we run short of peanut chikkis or sesame balls (kadala muttayi or ellunda, if we say in pure Malayalam!), he would munch on a couple of dates. After all, dates is super food, one of the most loved by the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). When not eaten in this way or not blitzed to make a lassi, milkshake or almond smoothie, this is another way we enjoy it… Simple and easy…
Eathapazham Porichathu ~ Dates Fritters
- 12 dates deseeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup flour
- A pinch baking soda
- 1 tbsp sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Water as required
- Oil for frying
- Combine all ingredients from dates to salt in a bowl. Add water slowly and mix well with your hand till you reach the correct consistency. The batter should be thick. If it becomes watery, adjust on the flour by adding more.
- Heat oil enough to deep fry in a kadai.
- When the oil is smoking hot, drop spoonfuls of the batter and cook on medium-low flame till golden brown. Do not fry in high heat otherwise the inner part wont be properly cooked.
- Take out using slotted spoon and drain excess oil on kitchen towel.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea!