Sometimes it is the theme that pulls you to participate in challenges. When the email for the Fantastical Food Fight appeared in my inbox, I was actually not planning to participate. But I casually browsed through the mail and noted the theme was “Fast Food Copy Cat”, as tomorrow is National Fast Food Day in the US – wondering what doesn’t have its own day now! 😉 I was really not keen at first, then my kids came to my mind. All they want is the McDonald’s kids meal and for its McNuggets. I don’t need to tell you how much I hate it when we are out, I ask the kids what do you need and they reply, “Ummi, McDonalds!” 😕 Instantly, my head told me that I must search for a recipe for making McNuggets at home! I landed up on this link, saved it up and tried it last week.
It was so easy to put together but I am skeptical at the same time whether the girls would like it. From start to finish, it hardly took me 30 minutes. As it came out of the oven, it did feel like shapeless McNuggets but I loved how the surface looked like. Since I am on a self-imposed “careful eating” phase, I took one and had a bite. I totally loved it! It tasted so much better than what we get in the box, but I wanted the girls to give their verdict.
Bite after bite, the nuggets kept disappearing from the tray. I asked Rasha, “Does it taste like McNuggets?” Rasha answered, munching on one, “Much better. McNuggets is so dry, this is very juicy!” Success! This is definitely going to repeat in my house for the many years to come, InShaAllah! The only little drawback I felt in the recipe was the coating quantity given, it was not enough when I started exhausting the chicken pieces so I have put in the recipe the quantity I will use for the next time, so that the pieces are very generously coated. If you have kids like me who are crazy for McNuggets, then try this! As fast as it gets done, it will disappear from your baking tray even faster! 😉
Not happy with the pictures… the sun was almost going off when I was done with the baking, the kids were ready to attack and my hands were shaky… but I guess you still get an idea how it looks! 😉
- 500 gm chicken breast
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup water
- A pinch sugar
- 1½ cup flour
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp black pepper powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash the breast well, Wipe dry. Cut them into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, water and sugar in a deep bowl, set aside.
- In a wide plate, mix the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and salt.
- Dip each chicken peice in the egg mixture, coat well with the flour, dip back into the egg and finally coat in the floor. Keep on another plate. Repeat the process till all the chicken is done.
- Meanwhile, heat oil for deep frying. Drop in the chicken and fry till golden brown on both sides.
- Drain onto a kitchen towel and line it up on a baking tray.
- While the final batch is frying, preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Once all the chicken is kept on the tray, bake in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Take out and serve warm with french fries, ketchup and bun.