For my sweet friend, who blogs at her little labor of love called “The Flavorista“, I decided I would give her a sweet kheer – Carrot Rice Kheer, which was something that I had made for my office folks and was immensely appreciated. Hop onto her space to read the recipe and more, right here!!! Hope you enjoy the post! 🙂
Carrot Rice Kheer
- 1 ltr milk
- 500 gm carrots peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup rice soaked for a couple of hours and drained
- 1 tbsp ghee
- A pinch of salt
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 4 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 5 tbsp mixed nuts almonds, cashews, pistachios
- Sugar as per required
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Saute the carrots and rice for five minutes on medium flame. Pour in the milk with the salt and mix well. Close the pressure cooker and leave it on medium flame till one whistle comes.
- Reduce the flame and leave it on for half an hour. Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself.
- Open the cooker, switch on the flame back to medium.
- Nicely scrape the sides of the cooker to mix the malai well.
- Add in the condensed milk, cardamom powder and dessicated coconut and bring to boil.
- Crush the nuts in a mortar or using a rolling pin and add it to the kheer. Add sugar as required and switch off.
- Serve warm or cold – both ways, it’s delish!!! The kheer tends to thicken as it gets cold, so add in some warm water to loosen it up…