It’s been a few months since I have participated in the Fantastical Food Fighting challenge. The reasons were many but I wouldn’t like to loiter around it. The best part is that you can choose to participate if you feel the theme is interesting. This month’s theme was one where everything came into one – a personal favorite and a date where I had no other posts scheduled! Hehe…
This month, the theme is “Carrot Cake”. I have already mentioned before that carrot cakes are my favorite – not the American style cream cheese frosted ones – though it is on my to-do list – but the homely cake umma used to make. I can sit and eat the whole cake in one sitting, if I got a chance to do that! But then that’s not how life is, right? You take and enjoy one piece at a time. 🙂 I also love these pistachio loaded mini cakes, or these wholewheat muffins, and even the Malabar version of a carrot cake.
Since I wanted to participate in this challenge, I let loose my searching on Google and landed up on so many options that went into my Pinterest boards. All of a sudden I was reminded of the chocolate iced ground carrot cake I had baked some time ago – yes, the Brazilian Carrot Cake! I remember baking the cake mainly because the video I watched told me, “Brazilians did it right with carrot cake – topped it off with chocolate!” 😀 True, what doesn’t chocolate make better?
Most of the recipes I found online had only eggs and oil as the wet ingredients, which I replaced partly with milk since I don’t like the texture of only oil cakes. These cakes only have carrots shining through, so there is no flavoring used, but if you want, you can add in some vanilla if you want. The topping is a very simple chocolate custard and definitely it adds a nice dimension to the cake. As I finished the frosting and let the cake cool, HD commented, “Your cakes never have a smooth surface!” Hehe… I am myself not smooth, how can I expect my cakes to be? 😉 Off to the recipe…
- 2 medium carrots (240-250 gm)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- FOR CHOCOLATE TOPPING:
- 25 gm butter, melted
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp corn flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour well a 10 cup bundt pan.
- Peel and chop the carrots into large pieces. In your food processor, blitz the carrot till it becomes small peices.
- Add the eggs, milk and oil and blend till it becomes a smooth mixture. Add in the rest of the ingredients and blend to a smooth batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes till skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, before slowly flipping the cake onto a cooling rack - the cake will be really soft so handle with care!
- As the cake cools, we can prepare the topping. In a small saucepan, whisk all ingredients and cook on low flame till you have a thick pudding. Allow it to cool slightly and then spread on top of the cake. Enjoy!