Baingan Ka Bartha is a mashed up brinjal curry, very famous in the northern part of India. It is surprising that I have cooked this on stove top many times but has not got featured on the blog till now but before the normal version, I am posting the microwave version! Sometimes, it is good to make exceptions, right? 🙂 In fact, the reason why I never blogged about the normal cooked one was because I never got the taste I wanted – at least that charred taste should be out. The microwave version just tasted the same like my normally cooked one, so till I get it right, I will not post it. Secondly, I don’t have a brinjal friendly crowd at home – ahem, they don’t like most of the stuff apart from non-vegetarian dishes but since they have no other option than eat what I make, it gets finished!! Hehe… Let’s have a look at how it can be made using the microwave… Recipe adapted from here
Baingan Ka Bartha/ Brinjal Curry - Microwave Cooking
- 1 brinjal long variety (around 300 gm)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 medium onions minced
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 chillies chopped
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium tomato chopped finely
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Wash the brinjal, remove the top. Prick all over using a fork. Put the wet brinjal in a microwave bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool. Cut into two and scoop out the pulp. Mash well.
- In the same bowl, add ingredients from oil to salt along with the brinjal pulp.
- Mix well and cook for 8 minutes, uncovered.
- Add in the tomato and paste, mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes. Mix well. Serve warm with rotis!