Food that makes you miss childhood is the best food. Would you agree? While I was brainstorming myself of what to make next for the Blogging Marathon #90 theme of “Wrap and Rolls”, my mind kept loitering around the egg toasties that umma would make almost every second Thursday. Thursday is weekend here, and we would have no madrassa that day, so naturally, we would be hungry around tea time. Umma would make toasties every single Thursday, alternating the filling with eggs, chicken or frozen mixed vegetables.
I feel today’s generation is pampered with too many ideas that we are lost as to what to make for our kids, but our mothers had simple ideas and simple dishes, that were cleaned up. I guess many of you would agree to this fact of life. I had some bread sitting in the fridge and I wanted to use it up. Since the girls aren’t there, the bread doesn’t finish as fast as it would. That’s when the egg toastie hit my head.
HD and B love eggs, so I quickly put two to boil and on the side, sauteed the onion filling. The toasties were done in flat 25 minutes, I didn’t even wait for the filling to cool. Hehe… I just made it umma’s way, quite simple, with the hint of mayonnaise in every bite. Umma used to never butter her toastie sheet, and I don’t do it too. Still the bread turns out with soft interiors and crisp sides. They enjoyed their snack like dinner. This goes well in the kid’s lunch box or as a quick fix snack for impromptu guests or those untimely hunger pangs! Off to the recipe…
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped coarsely
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 8 slices bread
- Mayonnaise as required
- To make the filling, heat coconut oil in a pan. Add the onions and saute it till wilted.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute. Add in the powders, sprinkle a tbsp of water and cook till the raw smell is gone.
- Adjust seasoning. Add the chopped eggs and give it a good toss. Cook for another couple of minutes, mix in the coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- Divide the filling into 4 equal portion.
- Keep the toastie machine ready. Spread mayonnaise on one slice of bread generously and on the other just on the sides.
- Spread one portion of the filler and top with the slathered bread. Repeat with all the slices of bread.
- Toast as per instructions till done. Serve warm.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see what the other Blogging Marathoners are doing this BM#90.