Time for this month’s Secret Recipe Club post! To review all my previous posts and read about them, you can check out here. I have enjoyed each and every post that I have been working on and this one was no different. Since I am moving for my vacation back home next month, I wanted to make sure that I participate in this month’s challenge. If you would love to join the challenge – which I would highly recommend! – then do hop on to their page and submit your blog. I am sure that you will enjoy the ride once you hop in… 🙂
This month I was assigned the blog, Cook with Sara. She is a Midwestern American blogger, who has been blogging for the past eight years, so you can imagine how much of a treasure trove her recipe index is! The very first recipe that tempted me to go ahead and I almost got to doing it was this cookie batter banana bread but then I reminded myself that last month, I did choose a cookie batter recipe and I could keep it to try for sometime later. 😀 Then I loitered around this easy melon breeze and even contemplated on these really easy sweet corn pizza, but then being the sweet tooth, I finally opted for these muffins. The name sounds very summery, right? 🙂 And why not? It has a beautiful bust of bananas, mangoes and coconut and the streusel on top just made the muffin go to another level. I have adapted her recipe to make it vegan, considering I am still on my diet and believe me, the muffins didn’t disappoint! It was really moist, mildly sweet with lovely flavors and disappeared off the pan, so much that even my banana bread hater Rasha had a couple of them in one sitting – I feel the mango really masked the banana in it. 🙂
Tropical Sunrise Muffins ~ Vegan!
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp milled flax mixed with 1 1/2 tbsp water (1/2 flax egg)
- 1 small banana
- 1/2 cup chopped mango
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- FOR STRUESEL:
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp instant oats
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a 6-muffin pan or line it and set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk the coconut milk and flax egg well. Add to the dry ingredients and fold in.
- Grind the mango and banana into a paste, you can leave a bit of bites. Add this to the mixture and fold in gently till fully moist.
- Divide equally into the prepared muffin pan.
- Mix all the ingredients for the struesel till well combined and sprinkle over the muffins.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes till a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling on the rack completely.
- Serve with a cup of coffee!