Let me start off by sharing what I read first thing in the morning today… 🙂
Sometimes you dream a lot and then finally gather up your courage to make it! Hehe… That is the story of making a galette… Galette is nothing but a free form tart. The base is the same as a tart, the fillings are put in the center and then just folded in, and then baked till done. There is no blind baking and double baking like you do for a tart, just straight and simple…
I am thankful to Him for making me stay in a country that has supermarkets blessed with strawberries abundantly. Thanks to my Azza’s obsession with pink, strawberries always make it to my shopping cart if it is on special offer. Most of the time we eat it up and sometimes it gets spoiled too. 🙁 The girls particularly loved the strawberry yogurt tart, so I was kind of sure they would love this galette. And love – they did! In fact, even HD felt that there was too less to eat for each of us. I served them with a scoop of ice-cream on top for all of them, while I had them just like that, with a sprinkle of icing sugar – didn’t want the additional calories! 😉
You can make the base in advance and freeze them upto three months, I have heard, but since I am a person who makes things at whim, this doesn’t work. Hehe… When you are in a mood to make something off it, you just need to pull it out and get it working. Making a galette also makes sure you don’t need any special tart tin – you can just put parchment paper on top of a baking pan or use a silicon mat and you are good to go. One little mishap that happened was that instead of quickly layering the strawberry mixture into the galette dough, I left it out a little bit too long that it started releasing its fluid. Please don’t do that! It oozes out and kind of stains the galette, even though there was no taste difference as such. The almond is purely optional but it adds to a lovely crunch in between the stewed strawberries. I guess we move on quickly to this delicious recipe… 🙂
Strawberry Almond Galette
- FOR GALETTE BASE:
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 100 gm butter
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- FOR FILLING:
- 300 gm strawberries
- A squeeze of lime juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean scraped
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp milk
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl.
- Grate the cold butter over it. Rub in to represent bread crumbs.
- Add enough cold water to bring the dough together, no need to knead.
- Cover with a cling film and refrigerator for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Keep a tray with parchment/ silicon mat ready.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten the dough into a big round which is 1/4 inch thick. Carefully transfer to the tray.
- Hull and chop the strawberries. Mix with the sugar, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Put it in the center of the round leaving around 3 inches around. Fold the sides inwards. Sprinkle the almonds on top. Brush milk on the pastry side.
- Bake for around 40 minutes or till the strawberry bubbles.
- Serve with icing sugar or whipped cream.