Making something interesting for dinner is always a challenge. And to make something that will finish in less than 30 minutes is a bigger challenge. After coming back from work, most of the time I feel so lazy to make something. All you want is to laze around, but then that is not something we can do, considering that eating outside food is really not a good option all the time. There were these packs of Pakistani vermicelli – the thin ones – that were lying in my pantry. I have this habit of stocking items like macaroni and vermicelli packs during the Ramadan promotion. With our consumption, they normally last with us till the next Ramadan. We always buy the normal vermicelli but somehow, by mistake I picked these up and they were just lying. That is when I decided to utilize it towards making something for our dinner. Glad I did. The cooking was done in less than 30 minutes and since this was made a little before our shifting, I was able to empty all the vegetables from the freezer as well. Hehe…
For a different version, you can check out this Semiya Vegetable Pulao too.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 medium onions minced
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels frozen
- 1/2 cup green peas frozen
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 200 gm pack of thin vermicelli
- Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds. Add the onions and chillies and saute till soft.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till all mashed up.
- Add the turmeric and red chilli powders and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the vegetables and cook for five minutes. A
- dd the stock cubes, water and salt and cook the water is boiled.
- Now add the vermicelli in batches, stirring to incorporate it till done.
- Cook on low flame for five minutes, stirring occasionally till cooked. Switch off and serve warm!