Hehe… ok, coming back to the recipe today, this is definitely the best pasta I have ever made. During a desperate attempt to make something different with some near-expiry stocks reeling onto my face (read: bechamel sauce, tomato paste!), I found this recipe as a rescuer and what a recipe it was! I twisted and tweaked it with whatever was available and the men in the family – F, B and H – declared that they were having food from an Italian restaurant!!! Ahem ahem… I seriously do not know if they were pulling my leg, but I really loved it and my kids did too. The next day, I brought it to office to have for lunch without realizing that there was a party in the afternoon. So my two colleagues were ‘blessed’ with having to eat it down for brunch. And they enjoyed it too!!! Wasn’t I a glad soul! 🙂 🙂 Recipe loosely adapted from Allrecipes
Updated on September 4, 2014 with new pictures…
|Old picture… 🙂|
Sausage Pasta with Bechamel Sauce
- 400 gm macaroni boiled and drained *
- 10-12 chicken sausages sliced into pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas thawed
- 1 pack 100 gm tomato paste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp red chilli flakes
- 1 pack all seasoning powder/ 1 cube chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pack Bechamel sauce 80 gm, prepared with half the milk as per instructions (to get a thick sauce) **
- Mozarella cheese ***
- Heat up your saucepan and pour the olive oil. When it heats, add the garlic paste and saute it till you get an awesome aroma.
- Add the onion and continously saute it till it becomes translucent.
- Add in the frozen peas, tomato paste, thyme, paprika, red chilli flakes and seasoning powder and cook till the raw smell of the tomato paste is gone.
- Check for the salt and adjust seasoning as required, add the pepper.
- Add the sliced sausages and keep the whole sauce on low flame for 5 minutes till the sausage incorporates the sauces.
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees. Take a large microwaveable glass pan.
- Spread a layer of macaroni, topped with the sausage sauce, then the bechamel sauce and keep layering till done. I got a total of three macaroni layers, two sausage sauce and two bechamel sauce layers.
- On the top, sprinkle sufficient mozarella cheese till covered. Bake your macaroni in the oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve and devour!!!!
** The Bechamel sauce recipe on the pack asked to be cooked in 1 ltr milk, but I cooked it in 500 ml of milk and got a nice thick sauce, which was perfect for the macaroni. The brand I used was Maggi. You can actually cook the sauce all by yourself. The recipe is in the Allrecipe link.
*** Since I didn't have mozarella cheese, I just dropped spoonfuls of cream cheese here and there on the top. Even though it tasted yum, I still feel mozarella would have given it an extra kick.