I have already shared a few of our normal Eid recipes last year – Ela Ada and Chicken Cutlets for breakfast along with a hot cup of chai, followed by biriyani for lunch, polished off with some Paal Pizhinjathu. Close to Asr prayers, in order to settle down the heaviness, we even go for a serving of Mint Sulaimani.
Every year, as it is, we have a defined set of relatives who are always there for lunch. Sometimes, we have guests out of the blue moon, who decide to come in during their rounds. For our unexpected guest, we always have stock of some semiya payasam with us. Just like how in the other states, they prefer Sheer Kurma, in Kerala, it has to be semiya payasam. They are distant cousins – the only difference being the type of vermicelli used and little on the methodology, nothing else… It is not necessary that it needs to be Eid to make this payasam, can be done whenever a sweet craving hits! I have put up the recipe to do it the quicker way – using a pressure cooker, like umma does. That is why I have aptly named it as “Quick Semiya Payasam”! InShaAllah, in the future, I will post the traditional way of making it… let’s have a look at making this payasam really quickly!
- ½ tsp ghee
- ½ cup vermicelli
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tbsp sugar
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch cardamom powder
- FOR GARNISH:
- ½ tsp ghee
- 6 cashews
- 6 raisins
- In a pressure cooker, heat ghee. Add the vermicelli and saute for 5 minutes on low flame, just to roast it. Ensure not to change its color.
- Now add the remaining ingredients, give a nice mix.
- Close the lid and cook for one whistle and then lower the flame. Cook for another 5 minutes and switch off. Allow the pressure to go by itself.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee and fry the cashews. Puff the raisins and keep ready.
- Open the lid, mix well, adjust the sugar if required. Add the garnish and stir again. Serve warm!
This is a very basic version! Instead of sugar, you can replace with condensed milk or add some cream at the end for more richness. You can add some crushed saffron for an exquisite flavor. The options are endless....