Moving on to today’s recipe, whenever I make rice and curry with fish fry (of course!), I always like to pair it up with a stir fry or upperi as we call it. Usually, it is carrot or my favorite, French beans but this one also happens to be a favorite for me. Apart from the time taken for shredding the cabbage, which I still do it the old fashioned way using a knife and on a cutting board, putting the dish together is such a breeze and so good to eat! It is a dish that often appears on sadyas (the banana leaf meals that Keralites have during festivals like Onam and Vishu) because of it’s simplicity. There may be variations but this is the way umma makes it and we love it too… Off to the recipe…
Muttakkoos Upperi ~ Cabbage Stir Fry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1 small onion sliced
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and give a nice mix.
- Cook on low flame with closed lid, stirring occasionally till the cabbage is wilted and cooked.
- Serve warm with rice and curry!